Monday, May 12, 2014

Are you an Introvert? It's not a dirty word!

I've been doing some reading and research on Introverts. Can you believe that I consider myself an introvert? I used to get embarrassed easily for things that most people would consider second nature, like standing in line waiting to get my lunch in grade school. OMG I can remember in the 3rd grade being so embarrassed and shy just to stand there waiting. I felt like everyone was staring at me, I just wanted to go back to my table and sit and watch everyone else. But here's the thing, I was just more comfortable watching, observing others move about the cafeteria and thinking. There's nothing wrong with that, however society makes it seem like being an introvert is dirty, that we must change in order to fit in. No, quite the contrary, introverts are thinkers, the ones who create and invent; Albert Einstein, J. K. Rowling, Christina Aquilera are often connected to being introverts. 

"Be nice to nerds. 
Chances are you'll be working for one" 
- Bill Gates

"Introversion is an inward orientation to life and extroversion is an outward orientation. Though you probably use both introversion and extroversion one of these orientations usually feels more like home - more comfortable, more interesting and more energizing- than the other. Introverts tend to gain energy by reflecting and expend energy when interacting. Extroverts have the opposite preference; they tend to gain energy by interacting and expend energy while reflecting." - Excerpt from Introvert Power, Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength

This is TOTALLY ME:  Introverts tend to gain energy by reflecting and expend energy when interacting. I am perfectly fine interacting with others but it is imperative that I have my solitude, quiet time to myself to think, process and reflect on things that just happened, people I've met and conversations that I've had. 



When I submitted and accepted my introversion, I found the core of who I really was. I am a thinker, I've always had ideas that were beyond what my peers could see. I've always been an observer, mentally learning from others without doing anything. I'm okay with that, its who I am. There are more people like me, but they'll just nod and smile and take mental note, saying "yes, I am not alone"



As always, 
Be Candy Coated!

No comments:

Post a Comment