Monday, July 26, 2010

Do you have a calling card?

If you’re an entrepreneur or business owner in the early stages then it is imperative that you always have business cards with you at all times! Every person that you come in contact with is a potential client or customer. Be prepared to strike up a conversation about your business and have your business card ready to share. Today in the parking lot, I met a woman walking in at the same time. I made a comment about her beautiful shoes and said “I have a handbag that would go perfect with those shoes.” It ended with me giving her my business card, advising her to check out www.candycoatedbags.com to view our stylish and colorful handbags. I'll be expecting her call later to give me the date of her home party :)

When you’re at a networking event, don’t be afraid to walk up to someone and simply say “Hello, my name is _____.” I once went to an event and felt super uncomfortable, so much to the point that I stayed for about 30 minutes then left without saying a word to anyone. The problem, I did too much observing and watching, instead of introducing myself and engaging others. I might have missed an opportunity to connect with potential customers or perhaps partnerships. Learn from my mishap and don’t be afraid or intimidated by anyone. All business owners and leaders started at the same place you are. They may be 5 or 10 years in, but that shouldn’t stop you from offering your name, your business and passing on a business card. Be confident, be bold, be colorful :)

So tell me, what do you have in your handbag to network with?

2 comments:

  1. That is so very true!! We cannot be afraid to talk to anyone. You are your best spokesperson, if you dont have confidence in yourself and business who will?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jovanna. You inspired me to be bold and confident per our talk :)

    ReplyDelete