Thursday, July 15, 2010

Where did your Handbag Come From?

Ever wonder how handbags actually became into existence? Well I have, so of course I went to Google and found some very interesting facts about handbags.

Handbags actually emerged in the 14th century, surprisingly by men. They were little pouches worn around their waist for carrying flint (which is a hard mineral form of quartz)
Women quickly caught on to this and began adorning the pouches with jewels and embroidery to reflect their wealth. The adorned pouches soon because a status symbol in the 1400’s.
The term "handbag" first came into use in the early 1900's and generally referred to hand-held luggage bags usually carried by men.
Again women quickly took on this new fashion accessory adding jewelry and other embellishments to match their outfits for the day, carrying such things as rouge, a fan, carrying cards and smelling salts.

Handbags and purses since then have since evolved tremendously over the years using fabric, wood, leather and man-made materials. Designers add embellishments, color and size to attract all women. As women, handbags are a necessity for carrying our must have’s that we just can’t leave the house without.

Isn’t funny how our must have’s of today also has changed much from what women needed to have in the 14th century. Today we carry our business cards, our lip gloss and maybe even a fan, but I am not too sure about smelling salts. Hmm, what’s in your handbag?

*Be Candy Coated, add a bit of colorful sweetness to your wardrobe!

2 comments:

  1. How cool! I love learning stuff like this (I guess I'm a nerd Lol). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, you're welcome. I thought it was pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete