Somehow in the mist of “climbing the corporate ladder” I forgot about my motto “money is not everything” and became a “paper chaser” grasping for the next best thing. While climbing, I lost my sense of priority when it comes to my happiness and family, along the way. We eat good, ride nice and are styled fiercely but Mommy seems to now have stock in Moscato and Lambrusco wines; that’s not a good look!
Money is the root to all evil. That’s what I’ve been told but I’ve always tried live on the premise that money is not everything when it comes to a job or career or your happiness and sanity. You have to make sure that you are happy in any and everything that you do. It’s imperative for you to have a passion for what you do; you must have some part of yourself vested in the position in order to give it your best. If not, it causes undue stress, low moral and lack of motivation to do your best.
I don’t consider my day job as my career, it’s currently a job (that I take seriously and do well) to support my current lifestyle. But what’s missing is undoubtedly my sanity. You’ve seen the hamsters and how they run and run on that little wheel that goes around and around? Well, that’s kind of how I feel. It’s a never ending cycle in which my “job” is becoming my life and leaving no time for anything else. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? I realize that corporate America is not for the thin skinned and weak minded. You’ve got to pay the cost to pull in the figures, but I don’t think I want to play these “reindeer games” anymore, I don't want to be Rudolph and lead the pack. I’d rather keep my job as my job; I’m not looking to turn it into a career.
I say all this to say, I now understand why so many men and women walk away from large scale paying jobs in this economy….simply to retrieve their sanity and find what they lost while climbing the corporate ladder.
Would you take a pay-cut in this economy to save your sanity? I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment